Monday, January 18, 2010

The Fight against Fat

I am all for being healthy. I know that the right way to eat is to have plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, some whole grains, and go sparingly on the meats. Of course I want to get in my cute smaller clothes after pregnancy, but here it is a whole year later, and I am still stuck in my "fat" clothes. The problem I find, is that I still love sugar, flour, oil and I don't just love it a little, I love it a lot. Give me an inch and I take the yard. So what can be done. I have looked at some of the websites that tout their special secrets to get rid of the "belly fat." If it isn't the acai berry scam then it is just another book that promises the perfect way for you to eat and exercise to lose weight. That is just it, I ALREADY KNOW how to eat and exercise to lose weight! I just have to DO IT! I have to stop making lemon bars, and cheesecake brownies, but even if I stop, my husband makes them. So how do I get rid of the mentality of eating sweets? Well before when I lost weight, I was so focused on my goal and the success was so fast that it was effortless to pass up the ice cream and eat a peach instead. It was easy to eat just the right amount of carbs and meat and load up on the veggies.

I get really frustrated when I see the other moms around me and they all started their pregnancies at size 4 or 6 and ended up in size 12, and my goal is to get to size 12. I know some of them have already lost their pregnancy weight too. Usually on Sunday I have more time to think, (probably because my husband is home to help with the kids) and I usually resolve in the shower that I will make time to exercise and say no to the extra sweets. Then Monday comes, and I get started. Then Tuesday comes and I am tired, but it is my rest day so it is okay right? Then Wednesday comes, and I get too busy, so I tell my self that Friday I can make up for Wednesday. But something always comes up and Saturday just won't work, here a week has past I have one day of exercise to show for it. Forget about what I ate anyway!

This time I have made a change in my mindset. The problem I found before was that I didn't make the time for exercise equal to the gym. I would say that I wanted to exercise on a given day, but I didn't set aside time for it. If something came up, I would say that I would exercise later, and never get around to it. When I had a gym membership, someone was taking care of my child while I was working out. I had 2 hours to do cardio, weight training and get a shower. I didn't have to deal with a phone usually, so my exercise time was planned and uninterrupted. But at home, I have no set schedule. I don't have a set plan for my days, excepting drop off and pick up for school and the baby's nap time. Even her nap times are adjustable. So my goal now is to plan my exercise time like I would plan a work schedule. I will plan other things around it and only miss it for emergencies or sick days.

I will report back in a month to let you know if it is working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment